Since it's that dreaded time of year again...back to school, we need some lunchbox inspiration from our faithful friend, the sandwich.
Where would we all be without the honest sandwich? Sometimes nothing else will do...
Remember the simple pleasure of opening your school lunchbox to find your favourite sandwich awaiting you? Or the smell of fresh white rolls as you unpacked a picnic hamper to enjoy with a flask of tea and friends on a summer’s day? Children love to get involved with making the perfect packed lunch or maybe suppertime is a simple glass of milk and mini ham sandwich. Maybe Sunday morning isn’t complete in your house without a good coffee and grilled bacon on granary, or Mum’s turkey and stuffing sandwiches will always taste like Christmas at home..
There’s something comforting about a sandwich that’s made with love, either by you, or for you - and the best thing is, the sandwich can never be boring – because the options are endless!
Whether it’s a cult classic or a culinary creation, everyone has their favourite filling and bread, roll or muffin to complement it. Our research has shown us that 60% of people in Northern Ireland enjoy the traditional sandwich, with the remaining 40% tending towards the more experimental. One thing is for sure, no matter what your taste, ‘making your own’ is making a comeback. 99.5% of people we recently asked told us they prefer creating their own sandwich than buying a pre-packed product.
This section of the Irwin’s Bakery website is dedicated to ‘spreading the love’ for all things ‘sarnie’ – offering you some interesting ‘sandwich statistics’, inspiration for sandwiches made easy at any time of day, tips for livening up your lunchbox and details on when and where you can find on Irwin’s breads (the ideal sandwich partner) across Northern Ireland.